this is quiet land.

February 26, 2016

In Due Time // a story snippet by me


It is a quiet Sunday afternoon.
'Dear me!'
The elderly Lady Beehouse sits on her front porch in a elegantly carved rocking chair of maple.
In front of her stands the aged gentlemanly postman, holding a most magnificent package.
It is wrapped in blue paper with a thin white ribbon tied nicely in a double bow; that dear package is a most promising gift for the Lady.
Gently, ever so softly, she takes the package from his worn hands (how surprisingly light it is!) and places it on her own lacy lap. 

(There is no address.)

How gracefully she loosens the string, and places her ear to the thin cardboard box. The postman steps back down the marble stairs, wringing his fingers nervously.

A quiet fluttering is heard from inside. So beautifully orchestrated is it’s cadence, that it beats to her heart.
The package is opened; the noise pauses for the briefest of moments. 
And, 'Dear!', a most majestic flapping of delicate wings, close to that of an ocean's roar; a multitude of light blue butterflies spill out, hundreds and hundreds, a glittering gossamer flurry; the air fills with the sweet tangy scent of lavender; the light from the porch fades from the sheer cloud of those exquisite insects soaring off into the sky.
'Dear me.’
The Lady presses a hand to her flushed cheek, an immaculate grin spread across her darling face.

At the bottom of the box, is a note of brown paper. On it, in a cramped and tiny print, (that is the postman's of course) is a sweet flurry of love, one Lady Beehouse never dared dream she would ever have the delight to experience. 


16 comments:

  1. That is so sweet. You're good at writing!

    Nabila // Hot Town Cool Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you Nabila!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, Ava! This is spectacular! <3 I love how you described the butterflies.

    Sophia xx | lantern-in-her-hand.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sophia! That means a ton coming from such a talented writer as yourself. <3

      Delete
  3. Beautiful <3 I love Lady Beehouse! Her name is so fun :)

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodnesssss this is the sweetest, most lovely story!! I literally can't express my love for it. It's probably my favorite thing I've read all week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa, thank you!! I am so glad you were able to enjoy it. <3

      Delete
  5. This is so darling, Ava!<3

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH MY GOODNESS. the sweetness and the beauty and ohhhhh. too delicious to be real. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU DEAR *kinda fangirls bc you are such an amazing writer and it means so much to me that you are able to enjoy my work*

      Delete
  7. Such a sweet story! And you conveyed so much in just a few paragraphs... I really enjoyed reading this. Keep up the fabulous work, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! <3

      Delete
  8. This is beautiful!
    ~Kathryn

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments; I truly enjoy reading them. ♡